Research and Genetic Program Development Manager
Reports to Executive Secretary
Objective: To determine, implement and monitor Jersey-specific research and development strategies and priorities to support USJersey’s research objectives and facilitate the genetic progress of the Jersey breed.
Share this job
Will have responsibilities in the following areas: Genetics, Research, Type Trait Appraisal.
- Work with allied industry to maintain top genetic standards in the Jersey breed with increasing breed profitability, efficiency, and production as a priority. Be the lead person in genetics to the Council on Dairy Cattle Breeding (CDCB);
- Coordinate updates to Jersey Performance Index (JPI) formula for genetic advancements;
- Direct updates to Jersey management programs such as JerseyMate, JerseyLink, BullsEye, and HerdView;
- Coordinate monthly summaries of genetic evaluations and assist in compilation of Green Book three times a year;
- Assist in writing documents for the membership explaining genetic changes and updates;
- Fully integrated in all aspects of marketing and ordering Genomic Testing, along with servicing Genomic Test customers;
- Fully integrated in all analytical aspects of the Type Trait Appraisal Program; Compile and distribute quarterly and annual summaries of AJCA Type Appraisal activity and coordinate annual Type Conference including materials; liaison with Type Advisory committee;
- Coordinate research efforts and utilize university contacts for AJCA research program; Work closely with academia to obtain competitive Jersey related research. Directed Research. Call for Proposals. Monitor and collect results of funded projects. Coordinate publishing of information; and
- Lead staff person with Breed Improvement committee, Jersey Performance Index (JPI) Advisory committee, Type Advisory committee and Research Advisory committee.
A minimum of a Master’s Degree required in animal genetics and/or research-related fields. Well-organized, self-motivated individual with strong mathematical, analytical, and writing skills. Must be detail oriented. Competence in basic business computer applications required; SAS, systems database, proficiency in Microsoft Access and Excel, plus Web applications desirable. Position requires frequent contact with members and dairy industry professionals. Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with individuals and groups essential.
Full-time position involving frequent customer contact and travel. Evenings, weekends, or holidays would be required to carry out responsibilities. Will work closely with American Jersey Cattle Association and National All-Jersey Inc., boards of directors, allied industry, universities/academic staff, and customers.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications. Travel expenses reimbursed. Employee benefit package available.
View Complete Position Description
Posted July 5, 2022
Use this link to submit your letter of application and résumé to Neal Smith, Executive Secretary USJersey organizations, 6486 E. Main St., Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-2362. Applications may also be submitted by fax at 614/861-8040 or by email with “Research and Genetic Program Development Manager” in the Subject Line of the message. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Apply for this Position